Black mold is a fungus that may cause your immune system to react. Common symptoms include sneezing, coughing, congestion and eye irritation. It rarely causes serious illness or death but may worsen asthma symptoms.
As for toxicity increases, people exposed to mould for the long term may start to experience symptoms such as persistent headaches and migraines, increased exhaustion and random muscle cramps. The person exposed in more severe cases may also suffer from sensitivity to light, unexplained weight gain and hair loss.
Symptoms of Black Mold Exposure
Postnasal drip. Sneezing. Dry, scaly skin. Itchy eyes, nose, or throat.
Yes, if you have damp and mould in your home you're more likely to have respiratory problems, respiratory infections, allergies or asthma. Damp and mould can also affect the immune system.
Respiratory symptoms such as wheezing, coughing, watery eyes, and skin irritation are the predominant symptoms. Mold is also known to cause asthma and life-threatening primary and secondary infections in immune-compromised patients that have been exposed.
People who live, work, or go to school in moldy buildings complain of pain, fatigue, increased anxiety, depression, and cognitive defects such as memory loss.
A blood test, sometimes called the radioallergosorbent test, can measure your immune system's response to mold by measuring the amount of certain antibodies in your bloodstream known as immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies.
Health effects of mould exposure include a runny or blocked nose, irritation of the eyes and skin, and sometimes wheezing. For people with asthma, inhaling mould spores may cause an asthma attack.
Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to molds can lead to symptoms such as stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes, or skin.
How long does it take most patients to detox/rebalance their systems? Some people get well very quickly (weeks) after removing the source of mold toxins, just by getting into a clean environment and avoiding re-exposure. Others can take over a year to recover fully.
These symptoms usually first appear 2 to 9 hours after exposure and last for 1 to 3 days. Other affected persons have progressive shortness of breath and cough, as well as weight loss.
Mold exposure can cause issues with concentration, judgment, and overall brain function. Luckily, memory loss caused by mold is often reversible once the mold is eliminated from a home.
Mold Allergy Symptoms
Stuffy or runny nose. Eye irritation (watering, red eyes, itching) Sore, dry throat. Dry cough or sneezing.
Inflammation: Mold spores act as irritants, which can trigger the body to mount an immune response. This can lead to inflammation throughout the body. Inflammation in the brain can impair cognitive function, and in the case of chronic inflammation, this can lead to long-lasting cognitive impairment.
Black mold, as the name implies, is often dark in color. When searching for black mold, look for circular-shaped spots that are black, dark green or dark brown. Some black mold can also take on shades of orange or have flecks of white within it. Most of the time, black mold has a slightly furry appearance.
Signs and symptoms of this condition, known as allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis, include: Fever. A cough that may bring up blood or plugs of mucus. Worsening asthma.
Those who need to see a doctor right away when exposed to toxic mold include people who are allergic to mold, have asthma or another pre-existing lung condition, or have a compromised immune system.
Mould will easily grow and spread if the right conditions are present. So, dehumidifiers don't kill mould, but they can help to prevent it from growing inside your home by reducing humidity. However, the best way to deal with it is to get rid of its source.
Do air purifiers help with mold? Air purifiers help capture mold spores from the air, preventing them from reproducing and spreading throughout your home. While air purifiers won't help treat active mold that's already present on surfaces, they are a great way to control the spread of airborne mold particles.
More than three decades of research show that mold exposure, particularly at home, can cause people to feel tired or develop chronic fatigue. It's due to mycotoxins, which are toxins produced by mold, decreasing oxygenation in the body, among other reactions that cause people to feel tired.