Also known as Datura or Moonflower, this often fantastic looking weed is packed full of poison that could kill your dog. This harmless looking green weed produces a white flower, and if your dog ingests the plant, he's at risk of the poison quickly taking hold of the body.
Central toxic effects include confusion, agitation, anxiety, hallucinations, seizures, and coma. Peripheral toxic effects include dry mucous membranes, thirst, flushed face, blurred vision, hyperthermia, urinary retention, and decreased gut motility (2).
What parts of the moonflower bush are poisonous? All parts. It is not safe to consume any part of the plant's roots, stems, leaves, flowers, nectar, seed pods, or seeds. Even the sap of the moonflower is poisonous.
Azalea, Buttercups, Chrysanthemums, Gardenias, Gladiolas, Hibiscus, Hyacinth, Hydrangeas, Mums, Primroses, Rhododendrons, and Sweet Peas are popular garden items that are poisonous. That's just another good reason to keep your dogs away from your neighbor's award-winning flower bushes.
Toxicity to pets
Jimson weed (Datura stramonium), which is also known as devil's trumpet, thorn apple, Indian apple, black datura, jimsonweed, tolguacha, and Jamestown weed, is poisonous to pets (especially to large animals like horses, cattle).
Affected dogs show signs 30 minutes to 4 hours after ingesting the poison. Initially affected dogs become anxious and have an elevated body temperature. Panting is usually seen. Progressively they become worse and staggery.
Some of the plants that can be toxic to dogs include: Azaleas, Cherries, Daffodil, Black Locust, Bleeding Heart, Elderberry, Elephant Ear, Foxglove, Golden Chain, Hyacinth, Jasmine, Laurels, Lily of the Valley, Mistletoe, Narcissus, Oak trees, Wisteria, Wandering Jew and Yew.
Plant dog-friendly plants
They include snapdragons, asters, camellias, rose, sunflowers, elaeagnus, centaurea (cornflower), impatiens and Calendula.
Philodendron (and Monstera)
This genus of plants is mildly toxic to humans, and toxic to both dogs and cats. Symptoms of exposure include: Oral irritation, pain and swelling of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.
Some species of the plant contain scopolamine and hyoscyamine, which have been deemed by scientists not to be safe for humans. Wash your hands after you touch any part of the moonflower, including its seeds.
A common treatment for someone who has ingested moonflower is benzodiazepine, which is used to calm the agitation that the drug can induce. Activated Charcoal can be used to facilitate the removal of the drugs from one's system, and in severe cases physostigmine, which is an antidote for anticholinergic poisoning.
Moonflower Attracts Moths
As a powerfully fragrant night-blooming plant, moonflower is a draw for bats and night-feeding moths, especially sphinx moths. Head outside on full moon nights to enjoy the luminous glow of the white blooms.
These special plants only bloom at night, when the moon is out. During the day, moonflowers are no larger than an inch or two wide, but when the sun sets, they open up to an astounding six or seven inch long bloom. Because of their aloof bloom and sweet smell, moonflowers are extremely romantic.
Moonflowers can be tricky to grow in containers, unless they are very large, because the vines can reach 10' to 20' in length. All parts of moonflowers, including the seeds, are toxic, so keep children and pets away from them. In some states, various Ipomoea species are considered noxious weeds and may be prohibited.
The moonflower (Selenicereus wittii) is a rather unusual cactus with a flattened stem that spirals around other trees like ribbons. It grows deep inside a single patch of rainforest in Brazil and flowers for a single night every year, so only a handful of people have witnessed the blooming process in the wild.
Lavender contains linalool, a compound toxic to pets, including dogs. However, while linalool is toxic to dogs in large amounts, toxicity in dogs is rarer than it is in cats. That being said, dogs can become poisoned by eating a large amount of lavender from the plant or essential oils.
Daffodil, lily and spring crocus bulbs
Several popular garden plants are poisonous to dogs, as this comprehensive database shows. But, often, it's the bulbs that pose the biggest risk. For example, daffodil, lily and spring crocus bulbs are all highly toxic.
Specific plant poisons require specific treatments, and vomiting can make some cases worse. Don't fall for the myth that dogs instinctively avoid dangerous plants. While it is sometimes true of animals in the wild, dogs have no ability to distinguish between safe and unsafe plants.
The Good News: Roses Aren't Toxic. Roses are non-toxic to pets, making them a fairly good option for landscaping for pet owners. They're a good option for cut flowers inside, as well, since they won't hurt your indoor pet if they consume any fallen pedals.
No. Milk is unlikely to be helpful in the vast majority of poisoning situations and can sometimes make things worse. Most pets are lactose intolerant and giving milk can cause or worsen stomach upset symptoms.